Minimizing the Environmental Impact

Minimizing the Environmental Impact

Devastating Environmental Trends
The majority of all electronic devices contain toxic materials including lead, flame retardants, nickel,
barium, chromium and mercury. All of the aforementioned materials can have devastating impacts on
the environment as well as humans, such as damage to kidneys and the nervous system. When disposed
of incorrectly, these materials can seep into groundwater and contaminate the air, causing catastrophic
damage. The worlds largest e-Waste landfill is located in Guiya, China where many residents are
beginning to exhibit signs of substantial health issues likely related to the toxic waste dumped in their
community.
The EPA has been significantly involved in e-Waste and several states have passed legislation in order to
combat the impacts of the increasing number of electronics ending up in landfills. As of 2019, a meager
10% of cell phones were recycled in the united states, with the remaining 90% ending up in landfills. In
addition, less than 20% of all e-Waste is recycled. If current trends continue and there is no intervention,
it is estimated that 120 million tons of e-Waste will be produced yearly by 2050. That equals roughly 96
million tons of e-Waste bring improperly disposed of every 12 months.

What can companies and individuals do to lessen their impact?
Companies around the United States depend on DMD Systems Recovery Inc. to provide them with
services to ensure their electronics do not end up in a landfill or causing harm in any capacity once it
reaches the end of its life-cycle. All assets at DMD Systems are purged of data in a safe, secure manner
before being recycled in its entirety or re-sold to add value recovery to customers.
When any electronic is retired for any reason, contact DMD Systems to provide you with peace of mind
regarding your data as well as your environmental footprint. There are solutions for one cell phone or
thousands of computers, no project is too big or too small when it comes to helping the environment.

How is DMD Systems helping?
As a responsible and ethical data destruction and disposition company, DMD Systems has maintained a
strict Zero-Landfill policy since its inception over 25 years ago and has maintained a strong sense of
environmental stewardship. DMD Systems is R2 certified which requires the highest standard of
environmental and ethical integrity. Learn more about R2 certification and standards here.

Through a solid foundation of commitment to supporting the environment, DMD has maintained a completely Zero-Landfill policy. No electronics that pass through the doors will end up in a landfill of any kind. Environmental impact reporting is available to all customers who have their assets processed at DMD Systems Recovery Inc. that includes the amount of toxic materials removed, Co2 savings, GHG emission reduction and more.